Friday, November 19, 2010

Lapbooks

I am always looking for new ways to make homeschooling fun for my kids.  I had heard, years ago, about lapbooks and had even made one or two, but had actually forgotten about them.  I recently found some things in our homeschool file cabinet from a while back and it renewed my interest.

Now that Princess is on a Kindergarten to First grade level, I think these lapbooks could be much more interesting and useful! So I began researching them all over again.

Not sure what lapbooks are?  Well, lapbooks are a fun, creative way to organize all the details of what you are learning.  You basically make a a bunch of mini books on the topic of your choice and then assemble all of those books into one larger book that is made up of file folders.  This completed book is a great review tool as well.  Children can look through them and remember what they've learned.

Although we do use a curriculum for phonics and math, lapbooks are a great way to reinforce what those lessons are teaching.  Also, since I don't follow a set curriculum for other subjects, this is a great way to integrate Science, Social Studies and Art into our routine.

The best way to really get a good grasp on lapbooks is to see them.  There is a Lapbooking Flickr Group that has an amazing amount of awesome lapbooks to look at.

So far this year, we have only completed one lapbook.  We focused on Pumpkins.  We are beginning a lapbook on Fall now ( I know, a little late) and should have it completed in two weeks or so, depending on my daughter's pace.

As soon as I get my pictures organized, I'll share our Pumpkin lapbooks with you - complete with all the resources I used to put them together.

I'm going to try my best to share all of our lapbooks and the resources so you can try it if you want.

There are lots of great things about lapbooks.


  • They can be customized to suit any level since you choose the materials. 
  • It's a great way to utilize scarpbooking supplies and skills and get creative.  
  • It's an awesome review tool when it's completed.  
  • It works great with the Workbox system we are already using
  • It allows you to cover multiple subject areas in one place
  • It's a great addition to our portfolio, which will have to be evaluated at the end of the year
I very much enjoyed the creation of our pumpkin lapbooks and can't wait to share them with you!  I am excited to get started on our next lapbook about Fall!

But that is just one mom's opinion.

Have you used lapbooks?
What are you currently working on? Have any pictures to share?

Let me know your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment