Monday, November 22, 2010

Fall Lapbook

Last week I shared with you our very first Lapbook for this year about Pumpkins.  At teh end of that post  I promised to share our next lapbook about Fall.

Well, We STILL have not completed our Fall lapbook!  Don't get me wrong, we have been working on it.  We have most (actually everything but one) of the individual books and cards etc. completed.  Nothing is put together in the actual lapbook though.  Such is life.  We will put it together, it's just not happening today!


That doesn't mean I am not going to share our resources though!  I just don't have any nice pictures to go with this post.  To be perfectly honest, I probably will not ever get to posting them either.  Let's face it, it's already time to move on to the next project so this one will be soon forgotten - until my daughter pulls it out to review, but by then "Fall" will be irrelevant. Just being honest!  :)

Anyhow, I will still let you know what things we did for this lapbook.  I'll let you know where I plan to place everything, but I'm sure you can figure out a layout if you choose to do a Fall lapbook with your little ones!

For the front cover I plan to attach a leaf collage we made together.  We live in Florida, so unfortunately,  we don't get to see many Fall colors in the leaves (By the way, I am originally from up North, and Fall is my FAVORITE season, so this is tough for me to deal with!), but we were able to find a few red, brown and yellow leaves.  We took the leaves and pressed them between two sheets of wax paper and ironed.  Pretty neat way to preserve the leaves!


On the inside left flap I will attach a small book about Fall.  For this book I copied a poem by Dianne Waggoner that I found in The Giant Encyclopedia of Theme Activities for Children 2 to 5 on page 146.  I assembled a small book from blank paper and wrote out the poem, one line per page leaving plenty of empty space below each sentence.  Then, I read the poem to Princess and she drew pictures for each page.  It's really cute!


Below the Fall Poem book, I plan to add the Leaf Shape Bingo game that I found in Toss and Learn Games Science pages 15-18.  You're supposed to attach the "call cards" to the sides of a rolling die, but we just mixed them up on the floor face down and played that way. I had my daughter practice some handwriting with this as well.  She had to look at the call cards, find the matches on the game cards, then write the name of the leaf below the picture.  I kept them all as cards so that we could place them into a pocket envelope in the lapbook.


In the center I plan to attach two pages.  One page is a maze (my daughter loves mazes - she's really good at them too!)  that I found at DLTK (♥ this site!!).  I printed out maze #4 in black and white.  Princess solved the maze (in about 20 seconds) and then colored it in.


The second page in the center of our Fall lapbook will be another Draw Write Now activity.  We used Draw Write Now Book 2, page 40.  I really love these books!  I like to use it for copy work in place of repetitive writing of A A A A A (you get the picture!) Plus, Princess loves to draw and this is a great way for her to learn a bit more.


On the right hand flap we will have Leaf matching cards in a pocket envelope.  I printed these from pages 8-10 of a free sample from the "Harvest Festival Project Pack" offered by Hands of a Child.  This is a similar to the Leaf Bingo we did, but oh well.


The lower right flap will have some new words we have learned along with their definitions.  I have laminated these so Princess can use a wipe-off marker to practice writing the words.  The definitions are on the back.  I chose the words mostly from books we read about Fall.


Some of the books we read were:



Why Do Leaves Change Color? (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 2)








Let's Look at Fall by Sarah Schuette

Let's Look at Fall (Pebble Plus)


I Know it's Autumn by Eileen Spinelli

I Know It's Autumn




How Do You Know It's Fall? (Rookie Read-About Science)




It's Fall! by Linda Glaser

It's Fall (Celebrate the Seasons)

These are just a few of the books we read...there are much more!!

Even though we have not assembled this lapbook yet, we have actually already started our Thanksgiving Lapbook.  There is less than a week to go until Thanksgiving, so I'll be sharing our resources for this soon, but again we won't have it completed for me to show you  :(  Sorry about that!

We may be slow going getting these completed, but we are still enjoying making them!

But that is just one mom's opinion.

Have you made a lapbook about Fall with your kids this year?
Mind sharing with me??
Let me know your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment